Engine system control
Engine system controls are among the most complex systems in a vehicle. Their central function consists of managing combustion processes in engines in such a way as to achieve both the desired performance requirements and fuel consumption, while also keeping pollution emissions low.
Our products and services
- Engine controllers with high-performance multicore micro-controllers
- Versions for petrol and diesel engines with 3, 4, 6 or 8 cylinders
- Customer-specific software and hardware adaptation
- Integration of customer-specific functions – also pursuant to AUTOSAR standards
- Adaptation, development and implementation of safety concepts compliant with ISO 26262
- Development and implementation of master/slave concepts for multi-cylinder engines
- Use of (modified) high-volume products for lower volumes production, including for engines with higher cylinder counts
- Use of customer’s application software as a tested and, optionally, high-volume platform adapted to the customer
Motorsport vehicles, such as for Formula 1 or NASCAR, require a completely different development approach than conventional high-volume vehicles. The guidelines and rules of the racing sector overlap those of the conventional vehicles sector in only a few key areas. We offer innovative technological solutions for high-performance control units and components that lead to victory!
- Hardware and software solutions for direct injection and pump control systems
- Combustion pressure analysis, knock detection and ignition control
- Flexible direct injection control strategies
- Optimised combustion processes on race tracks
- High-end development team
- Customer-specific solutions for race vehicles
In addition to high-performance engine system control and the use of SCR systems in diesel engines, pressure-charging combustion engines demonstrate significant potential in fuel efficiency and reducing pollution emissions.
- Adapting exhaust gas turbochargers to customer engines
- Adapting electrically powered turbines (e-booster) and integrating them in vehicles
- Adapting wiring harnesses where necessary
- Throttle valves for precise cylinder filling control
- Application of modified high-volume products in small series
- Display of prototype engines and vehicles for concept validation
Exhaust gas treatment
Global emission limits cannot be met without modern exhaust gas treatment systems. Particularly for diesel engines, the reduction of nitrogen oxides is an important factor in the exhaust system. In order to reduce nitrogen oxides efficiently, SCR systems are used in trucks and in passenger vehicles. To achieve the necessary chemical reaction in the SCR catalytic converter, an aqueous urea solution (ammonia) is injected.
- SCR system consisting of the following components: car AdBlue® dosing unit or tank flange module; exhaust gas treatment ECU; NOx, temperature and pressure sensors; urea quality sensor
- Creation of requirements specifications
- Definition of SCR and catalyst control strategies
- Analysis of physical and chemical system behaviour
- Model-based software development for exhaust gas treatment systems
- Inspections of SCR functionalities using test benches and test vehicles
- Experienced team for SCR operation and monitoring strategies
- Expertise since the introduction of EURO IV in commercial vehicles
- SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction)
While driving, all emission-related components and control units must be monitored. Detected faults must be displayed to the driver as quickly as possible via warning lights and permanently archived in memory.
- OBD-relevant system and application development
- Validation of your OBD requirements with summer and winter tests
- OBD function development and HIL validation on test benches, through to final tests in vehicle
- Expertise in the interpretation of legal requirements
- Responsibility for individual work packages
Increasing demands on modern electronic control units arsing from a growing number of vehicle variants and niche applications, as well as rising safety and compliance requirements with country-specific emission limits are leading to ever higher application challenges. Comprehensive applications with up to 50,000 calibration parameters require highly efficient process-oriented data management tools.
- Application of engine control functions, SCR components and OBD-relevant functions
- Test planning and implementation of summer and winter tests, as well as altitude and endurance testing
- Our team operates around the world at a large number of third party, independant facilities
- In-house development tools lead to more efficient workflow
- Engine and chassis dynamometers in Nuremberg, Schwalbach and Regensburg
- Test track in Regensburg